CycleKyoto HP LInk

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Book Review: In the Realm of Bicycle

In the Realm of Bicycle

Kyoto Journal founder and editor John Einarsen has produced a lovely book of photos taken of bikes in Kyoto.

Each photo in In the Realm of the Bicycle is a haiku, a brief fleeting moment that contains a larger truth.

The book has text in English and Japanese and a series of photos taken over the years.

Einarsen :

"Each encounter I had with a member of this vast race revealed an individual with a personality all its own, the result of a history at once common and mysterious. Inevitably, I came to see them as they really were: creatures who populated the niches and nooks and corners and alleys of neighborhoods and streets and lives.

And so I began with my camera to record their story, as my movements around town took me through their world. These photographs show them exactly as I found them; as indeed they remain even now, in their places everywhere, waiting only to serve."

For bike lovers or haters, those in Kyoto or not, this is a fine work that can be perused over and over again.

Preview and ordering information can be found here.

© CycleKyoto.com

CycleKyoto Home Page

Tags





No comments: