CycleKyoto HP LInk

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rice Shop North Kyoto

Rice seller near Daitokuji Templeお米屋京都

On a ride from Vivre, a shopping mall in Kitaoji, back home to the Ninnaji Temple area, we passed this festive rice shop outside the walls of Daitokuji Temple.

The bright sheets of heavy paper are noted with details of the various types of rice on sale.

The owner, a friendly woman in her 60s, saw me taking pictures and came out to ask where I was from.

She giggled when I replied with my Kyoto address, but persisted. As soon as I said the US, she was off on a long monologue.

"My daughter has been in LA for years, and she isn't ever coming back. With the economy, the lack of young people, useless politicians, the earthquake in Tohoku - I think everyone should leave! If I were a bit younger, I'd sell off this old place and start anew somewhere else."

Soon another shopkeeper came out and joined in. "My daughter lives in Switzerland. I miss her but doubt she'll ever come back either. What can you do?"

I did my best to encourage the pair that Japan was on its way back and bade them farewell, promising to return when they pressed me to "come back anytime."

© CycleKyoto.com

CycleKyoto Home Page

Tags
 




No comments: